Reports to: Regional General Manager
Pay Range: $1450.00 – $2100.00 per week.
General Purpose: To successfully manage store operations by achieving financial targets while maintaining a focus on outstanding customer service, employee satisfaction, excellence in merchandising and store presentation and a safe/secure working and shopping environment. Also, to manage, support and develop department managers and staff through clear direction, coaching and reinforcement.
- Effectively manage the performance of department managers and staff to achieve departmental and store goals.
- Oversee daily operations of the store, departments and sales floor, and resolve any problems that arise.
- Maximize sales and gross profits, while controlling costs and maintaining budgets for operations, supplies and expenses.
- Maintain the appearance of the store through proper merchandising and regular cleaning and maintenance.
- Maintain company’s product standards and practices.
- Manage store inventory by minimizing out-of-stocks and excessive inventory, deleting slow moving products, and effective stocking, as well as overseeing the monthly/quarterly store inventory necessary for financial reporting.
- Oversee all personnel issues in accordance with established human resources procedures, including staff hiring (except office staff), compensation, training, reviews, disciplinary action, and terminations.
- Maintain positive working relationships with all staff and management (departmental and operational).
- Ensure compliance with governmental policies, i.e. health department and weights and measures.
- Maintain a safe and hazard-free environment through regular cleaning, repair and maintenance to the store.
- Maintain a high standard of customer service throughout the store by maximizing time on sales floor, providing support for staff, and reinforcing our customer service standards.
- Effectively train and develop department managers in the following areas: gross margins, inventory, payroll, supervision, merchandising and sales, as well as completing succession planning/training.
- Maintain weekly communication with DOO and owner (as appropriate) on financial controls and objectives; cost of supplies, shrink, labor costs (productivity and labor %) and sales.
- Keep management and staff informed through effective meetings, memos and one-on-one communication.
- Continually improve the operations of the store thorough innovation and refinement.
- Keep apprised of the store’s involvement with the community and schedule of events by the marketing director.
- Over see employee recognition and bonus programs.
- Effectively complete all administrative tasks accurately and in a timely fashion (reports, projections, invoices, schedules, as well as phone calls and correspondence to vendors and customers).
- Minimum 5-years retail experience preferably in natural foods, and 3-5 years of successful experience as a Department Manager.
- Strong interpersonal skills (oral and written communication, listening skills, patience & diplomacy)
- Proven leadership skills: honesty, integrity, consistency, and ability to foster teamwork.
- Willingness and ability to make difficult decisions and ability to remain calm during crisis situations.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks: delegate, prioritize, and effectively manage time.
- Intermediate math skills (‘actuals’ vs. budgets with regards to sales, labor and margins, etc.).
- Must be computer literate with experience in Windows, Outlook Express, Word and Excel.
- Ability to work days, evenings and weekends.
- Ability to understand, follow, and enforce Department of Health regulations, and obtain a Food Handler’s Certificate within 10 days of employment.
- Ability to operate all equipment in the store.
- Ability to travel and/or transfer to other store locations.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs throughout any assigned shift unassisted.
- Ability to push/pull a loaded Grocery cart throughout any assigned shift unassisted.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to climb and balance on a step stool/ladder.
- Ability to stoop, kneel and crouch.
- Ability to sustain repetitive arm and hand motion.
- Ability to reach above shoulders and horizontally to stock and retrieve inventory.
- Ability to hear and speak clearly to communicate with customers, vendors and staff.
- Ability to work under a variety of conditions and temperatures, wet and dry, for extended periods of time.
*This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications assigned with this job.
This position description is subject to revision at any time.