Holiday Shopping Etiquette:
As the holidays are fast-approaching we wanted to remind our customers of some ways to practice safe holiday shopping:
- A reminder to stay 6 feet apart from other shoppers.
- The store’s capacity is 50 shoppers at a time – you may experience a wait to enter the store, please be patient.
- When checking out- please wait for the cashier to wave you forward before unloading your items.
- Facial coverings must be worn at all times.
- Patience, please! We are experiencing extremely high volume and doing our best to assist everyone in a timely manner.
Monday, August 3rd
Our 10¢ paper bag fee is now in effect. We strongly encourage customers to use reusable shopping bags and participate in our Wooden Nickel program!
If you have any questions, please email [email protected].
Thursday, July 30th
We have put a pause on accepting new vendors and ask that you pause on sending new product samples at this time. We will begin accepting new vendor applications and reviewing products starting in September 2020.
Should you have any additional questions please email us at [email protected]
Tuesday, July 21st
To ensure that the safety, health and welfare of both our staff members and community remains our #1 priority, facial coverings are required in all stores starting Monday, July 27th.
Wearing facial coverings in public spaces is one of the simplest and most effective things we can do to take care of one another. Please join us in slowing the spread of COVID-19 and wear a facial covering when shopping at Jimbo’s.
If for any reason you are not able to wear a facial covering, you have the following options:
- Go to www.jimbos.com and click on Online Ordering with Curbside Pickup.
- We will provide a one-time complimentary shop if you provide a handwritten shopping list.
Facial coverings are not required for children under 2 years old.
To safely serve you, we continue to do the following:
- At the start of each shift, staff members check-in which includes taking their temperature.
- Each staff member is required to wear a facial covering and wash their hands frequently during their shifts.
- All stores are practicing enhanced cleaning protocols and following San Diego County health guidelines.
In addition, shopping carts and hand baskets are cleaned after each use.
- To enable social distancing, we are monitoring the number of customers in the store. Markers are also provided to help you maintain at least 6 feet of social distance inside and outside the stores.
Thank you for your understanding, and let’s stay well…together!
Starting June 15th
Reusable shopping bags are now allowed
following these guidelines:
- Bags are not to be placed on conveyor belts or any other area outside of shopping carts or hand baskets.
- Bags make no contact with staff members.
- Customers must bag their own groceries and maintain social distancing. Otherwise, groceries need to be placed in a cart and bagged elsewhere.
- All carts and hand baskets are sanitized by a Jimbo’s staff member after each customer’s use.
To continue in ensuring everyone’s safety, the following protocols have been put in place at all locations:
- Installation of plexi-glass sneeze guards
- Washable facial coverings provided for each staff member
- Disposable gloves available and encouraged for each staff member
- Sanitizer available at work stations and throughout the store
- Staff encouraged to take frequent hand washing and rest breaks
- Staff encouraged and supported to stay home if sick
- Flexible time off for staff to support their needs
- Limiting the number of customers in store to maintain social distancing
- Work stations adjusted to maintain social distancing
- Enhanced cleaning and sanitizing procedures in place after store closing
- High touch areas and bathroom disinfection protocols throughout the day during business hours
- Curbside shopping developed and available to minimize contact for customers and staff
- Implemented a store “greeter” who ensures carts are sanitized and ready for use
- Implemented customer measurement points to assist with social distancing while in line and also when shopping throughout the store
- Hourly store announcements to maintain social distancing awareness
DO YOU HAVE A FACE COVERING?
As of May 1, the County is requiring face coverings in public settings. Face coverings can be made of cloth. Homemade coverings, bandanas, scarves and neck gaiters are all OK.
When to wear:
In general, you must wear face coverings anywhere you come within six feet of others. That includes:
Waiting in line to go inside a store.
Shopping in a store.
Going into facilities allowed to
When they’re not required:
Face coverings are not required:
For children under 2 years old.
DO YOU HAVE A FACE COVERING?
EFFECTIVE Friday, APRIL 17TH
We require anyone entering our store to wear a face covering.
This is an additional precautionary measure for our staff members and customers.
We thank you for your understanding!
We Support in Times of Need
We will be donating all 10 cent paper bag fees* to the Jewish Family Services Hand Up Food Pantry to help fight hunger and provide food security for families in our community!
We appreciate you and thank you for shopping with us!
*April 6th – 30th
Jimbo’s No Longer Accepting Reusable Bags – Until Further Notice
Dear Jimbo’s Customers,
Effective Monday, April 6th, we will not be able to allow our customers to use their own personal recycled bags for fresh produce, groceries or bulk items until further notice.
We continue to follow guidance from the County of San Diego and will adhere to the strictest policies to ensure the safety of our staff, customers and community. Thank you for your understanding and continued support as we navigate through these difficult times.
- Temporarily suspended product returns and all sales are final. Shop responsibly.
- Temporarily suspended the following self serve areas:
salad bar, soup station, hot bar, pizza station & nut butter grinder.
- Temporarily suspended all onsite dining areas.
- Temporary stores hours: 9am – 8pm, daily.
- Temporary senior citizen & disabled persons store hours: 8:00 – 8:45am, daily.
- Posted signage from the CDC on preventing the spread of respiratory diseases.
- Posted signage asking customers to be mindful of the quantities they are purchasing.
- Continue to provide hand sanitizer and sanitized wipes to cleanse cart and handbasket handles.
- Implemented even more rigorous cleaning practices throughout all of our stores.
- Pause on all sampling programs.
- Temporary eliminating all special orders.
- Suspended all non-essential meetings and functions.
- Working closely with our suppliers to ensure we have the essentials customers are looking for.
- Effective March 9th, ALL HOURLY STAFF received a minimum $.50 increase to their pay and in addition, quarterly bonuses for the 1st quarter will receive an automatic bump of 50%. This raise is permanent and at the same time the minimum starting pay was raised to $15 an hour.
We continue to closely monitor the rapidly evolving situation and make decisions that allow us to maintain the best shopping experience for our staff members, customers and the community!
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, we are temporarily suspending product returns and all sales are final.
We continue to closely monitor the rapidly evolving situation and make decisions that allow us to maintain clean and stocked stores to serve our customers and support our staff members. Out of an abundance of caution, we have made the decision to temporarily suspend returns to protect the health and safety of our staff members, customers and community. We will continue to closely monitor guidance from state and local agencies and adjust our policy accordingly.
We encourage you to be thoughtful in your purchases, shop responsibly and be considerate of the needs of those in our community.
Thank you for your understanding!
Dear Jimbo’s Community,
Effective Friday, March 20th, we will open our doors from 8AM – 8:45AM exclusively to senior citizens (ages 60+) and disabled persons so they can shop in a less crowded environment and have an opportunity to purchase items they need.
We also encourage the community to reach out to their neighbors and lend a helping hand to those who are unable to shop for essentials. We truly appreciate your understanding and continued support.
Thank you for choosing Jimbo’s!
Senior citizens (60+) & disabled persons:
March 18, 2020
To all Hourly Staff Members:
As the hours become days and will pretty soon become weeks, I again struggle to find the words to express my gratitude for how much I, in addition to our customers, appreciate the exceptional level of service you have provided. In the eye of the storm, you have remained calm, worked tremendously hard, and have been a source of comfort to many folks who shop at our stores. While I personally can see it when I am on the floor at Carmel Valley, I have chatted with management from all of the stores and the response has been the same—you’ve all been awesome, have gone above and beyond, and have done an incredible job of representing Jimbo’s. Most importantly, you have given people hope — hope that in spite of all the upheaval that is happening around us, our customers can come into Jimbo’s and find some level of peace, tranquility and reassurance.
I am not kidding when I say you have touched the hearts of many. I have heard from numerous customers who have thanked me for doing what we do and who are tremendously grateful for all your efforts. I speak with great pride when I tell them how incredibly proud I am of how all of you have pulled together in these challenging times. What follows at the end of this note is some of the feedback that we have received via the website from some of our customers. You should all be proud of how you have conducted yourselves.
As I have said, there are no words to express my gratitude, but in the absence of words, I can tell you what I am going to do. Retroactive to last Monday, March 9th ALL HOURLY STAFF will receive a $.50 increase to their pay; except for those of you who are being paid less than $14.50/hour, your pay will be set at $15.00 an hour. In addition, your quarterly bonus for the 1st quarter will receive an automatic bump of 50% (so if you were going to get $100 you will now get $150).
Over the coming weeks and months, I will continue to review our sales and depending on where they are at, I reserve the right to adjust again, but only in the upward direction. Every night I go home, I am mentally, emotionally and physically drained, but when I get up in the morning and come to work, and when I see and hear what you’re all doing —well, you are an inspiration to me and quite frankly the entire leadership team.
I leave you with one of my favorite quotes from Martin Luther King, “The ultimate measure of a man (person) is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” You all have all risen to the challenge!
I will be adjusting the wage guidelines to reflect these changes in the upcoming week.
With tremendous gratitude,
Beginning Tuesday March 17th, Jimbo’s will be adjusting store hours in order to allow time to properly restock stores and give our staff some much needed time to recoup.
Until further notice, all Jimbo’s locations will now be open from 9AM TO 8PM.
Due to the overwhelming increase in business, you may see some items in short supply for the next week or two, but subsequently we fully expect to have our complete product assortment and see no interruptions to product supply. Stay up-to-date and receive the latest information! Sign up for our newsletter and join the Jimbo’s Community at www.Jimbos.com
We appreciate your support and understanding!
March 16, 2020
Dear Valued Vendor Community,
At this time, given the current changing environment and impact to our operations, we will be canceling all vendor meetings as well as all new item evaluations. This pause will last until at least March 31st, but could extend beyond that due to continued operational demands. For now, the priority of our Buying Team will be supporting our store operations in order to best be able to serve our staff, customers, and community.
We hope to resume meetings as well as new item evaluations sometime in April, and will continue to update you as we are able to better understand the retail landscape.
Thank you for your continued support,
Justin S. Jackson
Chief Operating Officer
March 13, 2020
Dear Jimbo’s Customers:
I want to express to you some thoughts as we look to forge ahead in the face of challenging times. As we all closely monitor the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, we are trying to grasp the impact this may have on our family, our friends, and most importantly you—our community. Every time I sit down to write this, it seems as if the very nature of my understanding of this disease and the impact it is having is drastically changing. I can only assume the tremendous toll it has already taken on each of you and your family emotionally, physically and mentally. We have felt the effects of this at Jimbo’s, too. However, with the very nature of what we do and what we offer, we have the responsibility to do what we can to continue to serve you with all your food needs (to the best extent possible) in this challenging time. And, that is what we intend to do!
As you continue to trust us to be your source of well-being, we want to reassure you that we will do our best to continue to drive that confidence. In addition, I want to make sure that you understand that the health, safety and welfare of both our staff and our customers remains our number one priority. With that being said, I would like to share with you some of the actions that Jimbo’s has chosen to take to best serve you, while also doing what we can to support our staff because it is the right thing to do.
- While Jimbo’s has had no reported COVID-19 infections in our stores, we have asked any staff exhibiting symptoms of respiratory illness or fever to stay home and notify their physician. We have also given our staff who have underlying medical conditions the option to stay home to minimize any potential exposure. Jimbo’s has a generous sick and vacation policy, and we are working with employees on a case-by-case basis to ensure they have the support they need.
- We will do our best to continue to provide hand sanitizer and sanitized wipes to cleanse cart and handbasket handles. With the increased demand nationwide for these items, we are having difficulty procuring them for our stores. While we work to find a supplier, we are tasking staff with frequently cleaning these high-touch areas.
- Jimbo’s prides itself on its cleanliness and food safety standards, and following guidance from the CDC and other agencies, we have implemented even more rigorous cleaning practices throughout all of our stores. This includes frequently sanitizing high-touch locations like payment machines, scales, bathroom areas, Kombucha dispense handles, water station buttons, dairy and frozen door handles and, as mentioned above, carts and handbaskets. We are also changing out hot and cold bar utensils on an hourly basis.
- We are working closely with our suppliers to ensure we have the essentials that you are seeking, like pantry staples, cleaning supplies, and health and body care items.
- We have put a pause on our sampling programs to minimize risk.
Additionally, in order to support and focus on the day-to-day operating of the business, we are suspending all non-essential meetings and functions so that our senior management team can support our staff with the daily cleaning, ordering, stocking of shelves, food production, cashiering and bagging. Our teams are working tirelessly to manage the increase in business, all with a smile on their face, and I couldn’t be more proud or grateful for their dedication, perseverance and commitment. Lastly, I want to acknowledge all of you for the patience you have shown during this time. I have witnessed incredibly long lines at our deli and meat counters and especially at the front end. All of you have remained calm and respectful, and for that I am extremely grateful. Our staff will continue to provide you with the great service that you deserve!
We will continue to monitor this situation as it continues to unfold. And accordingly, we will do our best to quickly adapt our operations to make sure we take care of you and our staff. As customers, you have put your trust in us through the years, and I hope we continue to be deserving of that trust. And as I mentioned before, as we navigate through these difficult times, we will do this together.
With respect and sincerity,