Department: Deli (Kitchen & Counter)
Reports To: Store Manager
Pay Range: $1250.00 – $1600 per week
- To successfully manage each of the depts. within the Prepared Foods area to include the Deli, Bakery, and Juice bar.
- To achieve the financial targets outlined by the Store Manager and to grow the department’s sales by creating an environment where quality food items, outstanding customer service and creative merchandising are all major focuses.
- To oversee, motivate, manage, support and develop the Kitchen Manager and Deli Counter Manager with clear direction and strong leadership.
- To oversee, motivate, manage, support and develop the Kitchen and Deli Counter teams with clear direction and strong leadership.
- Achieve financial goals set forth by the Store Manager and C.O.O.: sales, margins, and inventory.
- Perform key human resource functions: hire and train new staff members, document performance evaluations, issue disciplinary counselings, and terminations, monitor staff breaks, provide succession training, and complete supporting documentation in a timely manner.
- Effectively manage the staff of the Kitchen and Counter through quality training, regular open communication and meetings, clearly stated expectations, and an emphasis on each employee’s growth and development.
- Write the Kitchen and Counter schedules to effectively handle the department’s workflow, provide outstanding customer service and remain within labor budget. Also monitor staff breaks, meal periods and minimize overtime.
- Insure the delivery of consistent, outstanding customer service in the Deli Department that conforms to the Customer Service Standards, including proper response to customer requests, suggestions, and feedback in a timely manner.
- Develop and maintain an outstanding merchandising plan that addresses displays, promotions, cleanliness, new products, resets, and contributes to overall appearance of the store.
- Execute sales/promotions in a timely manner and work with the Demo Department to sample product.
- Ensure proper department signage.
- Manage purchasing function with respect to proper mix, order cycles, and order books.
- Ensure all products meet quality standards through proper rotation and by only selling fresh product.
- Maintain an abundant stock appearance while minimizing inventory; provide organic items whenever possible and seek new sources for organics.
- Manage shrink and monitor credits and through effective organization and follow through.
- Promote and maintain a positive, clean and safe atmosphere for shopping and working.
- Manage quarterly inventories within the dept.
- Assist other team members in achieving the goals of dept. and the store.
- Hold regular Department meetings (minimum of one meeting per quarter) and attend all scheduled store meetings.
- Know store layout/product location to walk the customer to the appropriate aisle when asked.
- Adhere to and enforce all Kitchen/Counter and Store policies as outlined by the Store Manager, Staff Member Handbook, Department Handbook and Injury and Illness Prevention Plan.
- Assist in maintaining security of the store, including the Enter/Exit Policy and Free Box Policy.
- Demonstrated ability in managing Kitchen operations (quality food production, hygiene/sanitation, margins, ordering, inventory control, merchandising, personnel management).
- Proven leadership in managing and leading a large team of staff members (25+).
- Prior high volume culinary/food service leadership experience.
- Must have intermediate math skills, and be computer literate with experience in Windows, Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Strong skills in communication, listening, organization, time management and the ability to provide and coach legendary customer service.
- Leadership and team-building skills with the ability to coach, motivate, supervise and delegate.
- Willing to work early mornings, evenings, and weekends as needed.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs throughout any assigned shift unassisted.
- Ability to push/pull a loaded Kitchen cart/rolling rack throughout any assigned shift unassisted.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to climb and balance on a step stool/ladder.
- Ability to stoop, kneel and crouch.
- Ability to sustain repetitive arm and hand motion.
- Ability to reach above shoulders and horizontally to stock and retrieve inventory.
- Ability to work under a variety of conditions and temperatures, wet and dry, for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work safely around kitchen machinery and sharp knives.
* This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job. This position description is subject to revision at any time.