Reports To: Store Manager
Pay Range: G&A Wage Scale
General Purpose: To support the Store Manager in achieving store goals and to oversee store operations in the absence of the Store Manager. To possess a strong understanding of the operations of all departments, and to be capable of functioning as a temporary department manager as needed. Play a leadership role in the succession training and development of the department management team.
- Assist Store Manager and Department Managers by enforcing all store/department policies, provide support in training new employees and managers, be able to write employee evaluations and handle disciplinary counseling of staff.
- Able to step in and run any department in the store in the absence of the department manager on a temporary basis (policy and procedures, ordering/inventory control, staffing/scheduling, receiving, invoices, credits, hiring, reviews, disciplinary write-ups).
- Supervise daily operations of the store; perform necessary crisis-control measures to resolve unusual situations and troubleshoot potential future situations.
- Assist Store Manager and Department Managers with key human resource functions; including enforcing all store/department policies, assist in monitoring staff breaks, minimize overtime, provide support in training new employees, succession training, progressive discipline, and performance feedback for employee evaluations.
- Maximize time spent on the sales floor (75% of scheduled hours).
- Display role model customer service, promote a positive atmosphere for shopping and working, and assist customers with product knowledge, product location, complaints, suggestions, and any other questions that may arise.
- Promptly respond to customer assistance pages, paying close attention to the Deli, Front End, and Meat Departments.
- Capable of performing all opening and closing duties at both the store and departmental level.
- Promote a positive atmosphere for shopping and working by maintaining a safe and clean working environment.
- Assist with all customer injury reports and/or property damage claims.
- Oversee equipment maintenance and problems (i.e. coolers, drains), avoiding service overtime when possible.
- Assist Store Manager in department development to improve overall efficiency of all departments.
- Attend and assist with quarterly inventories as requested.
- Act as store security for potential criminal activity.
- Proven leadership and team-building skills with the ability to supervise employees, delegate tasks, and constructively address performance issues.
- Proven communication skills necessary to create a sense of teamwork, motivate coworkers and effectively communicate with other staff and managers in a variety of interpersonal situations.
- Previous experience as an MOD, Department Manager or higher, with demonstrated success in maintaining department operations, preferably in Natural Foods.
- Role model customer service, communication, and organization skills.
- Intermediate math skills (‘actuals’ vs. budgets with regards to sales, labor and margins, etc.).
- Ability to analyze financial reports and make operational corrections in order to achieve financial goals.
- Must be computer literate with experience in Windows, Outlook Express, Word and Excel.
- Ability to understand, follow, and enforce Department of Health regulations, and obtain a Food Handler’s Certificate within 10 days of employment
- Willing to work evenings and weekends.
- Ability to travel and/or transfer to other store locations.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs throughout any assigned shift unassisted.
- Ability to push/pull a loaded Grocery cart throughout any assigned shift unassisted.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to climb and balance on a step stool/ladder.
- Ability to stoop, kneel and crouch.
- Ability to sustain repetitive arm and hand motion.
- Ability to reach above shoulders and horizontally to stock and retrieve inventory.
- Ability to hear and speak clearly to communicate with customers, vendors and staff.
- Ability to work under a variety of conditions and temperatures, wet and dry, for extended periods of time.
*This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications assigned with this job.
This position description is subject to revision at any time.