Reports To: Produce Manager
Pay Range: Manager Wage Scale
General Purpose: To assist the Produce Manager to effectively manage the Produce Department to achieve the financial targets outlined by the Store Manager, to grow the department’s sales through outstanding customer service and excellence in merchandising, and by supervising, supporting, and developing the Produce staff members. Handle special projects assigned by the Produce Manager.
- Assume ownership of the Produce Department in the absence of the Produce Manager.
- Gain skills, knowledge, and ability needed to assist the Produce Manager in the following areas:
- Manage financial goals set forth by the Store Manager and DOO: sales, margins, and inventory.
- Perform key human resource functions: hire and train new employees, document performance evaluations, issue disciplinary counselings, and terminations, monitor staff breaks, provide succession training, and complete supporting documentation in a timely manner.
- Effectively manage the staff of the Produce Department through quality training, regular open communication and meetings, clearly stated expectations, and an emphasis on each employee’s growth and development.
- Write Produce schedule to effectively handle the department’s workflow, provide outstanding customer service and remain within labor budget. Also to monitor staff breaks and minimize overtime.
- Insure the delivery of consistent, outstanding customer service in the Produce Department that conforms to the Customer Service Standards, including proper response to customer requests, suggestions, and feedback in a timely manner.
- Develop and maintain an outstanding merchandising plan that addresses displays, promotions, cleanliness, new products, resets, and contributes to overall appearance of the store.
- Execute sales/promotions in a timely manner and work with the Marketing Department to sample product.
- Work with the Scanning Coordinator to execute all Produce Department price changes, and maintain signage.
- Manage purchasing function with respect to proper mix, order cycles, and order books.
- Ensure all products meet quality standards through proper rotation and by only selling fresh product.
- Maintain an abundant stock appearance while minimizing inventory; provide organic items whenever possible and seek new sources for organics.
- Manage shrink and monitor credits through effective organization and follow through.
- Maximize time spent on sales floor (spend a minimum of 75% of scheduled hours on the sales floor).
- Promote and maintain a positive, clean and safe atmosphere for shopping and working.
- Assist with quarterly inventories of the Produce Department.
- Assist other team members in achieving the goals of the Produce Department and the store.
- Attend all scheduled all-store meetings, and assist Produce Mgr in facilitating regular Department meetings (minimum of 1/Qtr).
- Know store layout/product location to walk the customer to the appropriate aisle when asked.
- Adhere to and enforce all Produce Department and Store policies as outlined by the Produce Manager, Staff Member Handbook and Injury and Illness Prevention Plan.
- Ability to understand and follow Department of Health regulations, and needs to complete Food Handler’s Certificate within 10 days of employment.
- General knowledge of Produce Department operations (margins, ordering, inventory control, merchandising, personnel management).
- Must have intermediate math skills, and be (or be willing to complete training to become) computer literate with experience in Windows, Outlook Express, Word and Excel.
- Strong skills in communication, listening, organization, time management and the ability to provide and coach legendary customer service.
- Ability to travel and/or transfer to other store locations.
- Leadership and team-building skills with the ability to coach, motivate, supervise, delegate, and constructively address performance issues.
- Willing to work early mornings, evenings and weekends as needed.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs throughout any assigned shift unassisted.
- Ability to push/pull a loaded Produce cart throughout any assigned shift unassisted.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time and climb and balance on a step stool/ladder.
- Ability to stoop, kneel and crouch and sustain repetitive arm and hand motion.
- Ability to reach above shoulders and horizontally to stock and retrieve inventory.
- Ability to work under a variety of conditions and temperatures, wet and dry, for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work safely with knives and equipment in the produce department.
* This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job.
This position description is subject to revision at any time.