(Revised March 2019)
Reports To: C.O.O.
Pay Range: G&A Wage Scale
General Purpose: To maintain the consistency and uniformity between the Health and Wellness Departments, this includes the vitamin and supplement selection in each of the stores in the areas of pricing, merchandising, sales and maintaining ingredient standards in our product selections. Provide support to the Store Managers and Health and Wellness Department Managers in each store by assisting in the areas of merchandising, operational training, problem solving, margins, inventory management, and all-store sales.
- Evaluation and submission of new items for approval, research product background and ingredients in response to customer inquiries; and ensure all our products meet our product standards.
- Write monthly ads and negotiate discounts with brokers, distributors and manufacturers.
- Negotiate and set-up monthly all-store sales for items.
- Set, manage and achieve targeted Gross Profit margin according to corporate gross margins established with company leadership; to include managing Purchase to sales on a weekly basis and driving the Inventory process.
- Develop and maintain the LPN program and on-going discounts
- Maintain large buy-ins and deep discounts for the warehouse program
- Oversee quantity purchasing in all stores making sure discounts are maximized and inventory controlled.
- Work with store managers on evaluations of department managers and issues that may arise at the store level.
- Evaluate movement of products for a successful and diverse product mix discontinuing and replacing slow movers utilizing both, but not limited to industry reporting (SPINS) and in-house programs (Category Management) to make determinations.
- Establish and maintain a set category management schedule for new items and departmental resets.
- Implement category management projects, create new schematics and supervising the reset crews
- Responsible for setting new items, pulling discontinued items and modifying sets as needed.
- Training and coaching of new Department Managers and supporting the training of new staff members as needed.
- Support stores in the absence of a Department Manager when needed.
- Ensure that all operational procedures are being followed properly and uniformly in all stores.
- Maintain consistent communication and follow-through with department managers.
- Write up quarterly department evaluations and following through with store managers/department managers on acknowledgements, issues or areas to focus on.
- Create and maintain Department training manuals and programs.
- Assist department managers in developing merchandising skills and in the building of end caps.
- Support departments with maintaining proper scanning procedures.
- Support department with maintaining bottom-line gross margins and inventory levels; investigate and make corrections when targets are not being reached.
- Maintain contacts with industry brokers, sales reps, and manufacturers and act as main contact for distributors relative to discontinued items, invoices, deliveries, ongoing programs and new programs.
- Provide all necessary paperwork/forms to scanning as needed.
- Work with Marketing to drive and support sales and customer education.
- Support quarterly inventories of the departments
- Source subject matter for monthly seminars in coordination with Marketing.
- Research and approve Heath and Wellness Department staff product training schedules.
- Review, maintain and modify ingredient standards as needed; provide information to President and COO for review.
- Work with HABA/GM Buyer/Supervisor to be a support in the position as needed.
- Use Ad Planner to review and plan ads; including amounts to buy and GPM.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years experience of both multi-unit corporate purchasing and as a highly effective Department Manager.
- Ability to establish and maintain broker relations
- Proven leadership and team-building skills with the ability to constructively address performance issues.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Ability to analyze financial reports and make operational corrections in order to achieve financial goals.
- Ability to travel between stores.
- Intermediate math skills.
- Must be computer literate with experience in Windows, Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Natural foods knowledge and industry connections very helpful.
- Able to work periodically in refrigerated working environment.
- Ability to hear and speak clearly in order to communicate with customers, vendors and staff.
- Ability to squat, kneel, bend and reach above head in order to merchandise and stock in the Vitamin Department.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Work Environment: Approximately 25% of time on sales floor (retail setting) and 75% of time in an administrative environment.
*This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications assigned with this job.
This position description is subject to revision at any time.