(Revised March 2016)
Reports To: Director of Operations
Pay Range: G&A Wage Scale
General Purpose: To maintain the consistency and uniformity between the Produce Departments in each of the stores in the areas of pricing, sales, selection and merchandising by uniformly enforcing policy, procedures and protocol. Also, to provide support to the Store Managers and Produce Department Managers in each store by assisting in the areas of training, personnel management, problem solving, margins, inventory management, and all-store sales.
- Evaluation and submission of new items for approval, research product background in response to customer inquiries, and ensure all our products meet our product standards.
- Write monthly ads and negotiate discounts with brokers, distributors and farmers.
- Negotiate and set-up monthly all-store sales for items.
- Negotiate weekly pricing.
- Coordinate price changes company wide.
- Develop and maintain on-going discounts.
- Maintain large buy-ins and deep discounts for the warehouse program.
- Oversee purchasing in all stores making sure discounts are maximized and inventory controlled.
- Actively source new growers both local and out of area.
- Evaluate movement of products for a successful and diverse product mix discontinuing and replacing slow movers utilizing both industry reporting (SPINS) and in-house programs (Category Management) to make determinations.
- Work with the Produce Managers in the maintenance, organization and supervision of merchandising for the department with new seasonal items, displays, monthly ads, product mix, sets, schematics, programs, etc and provide appropriate feedback.
- Work with Produce Managers in helping the departments to maintain bottom-line gross margins; investigate and make corrections when target margins and inventory levels are not being reached/maintained.
- Perform departmental evaluations monthly or more often as necessary.
- Maintain contacts with industry brokers, sales reps, and growers and act as main contact for distributors relative to discontinued items, invoices, deliveries, pricing, ongoing programs and new programs.
- Support the hiring and training of new Produce Department Managers.
- Fill in and serve as Department Manager in the absence of a manager.
- Maintain consistent communication and follow-through with Produce Department Managers.
- Conduct price checks and store evaluations of competitors.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years experience of both purchasing and as a highly effective Department Manager.
- Ability to establish and maintain broker/farmer relations.
- Proven leadership and team-building skills with the ability to constructively address performance issues.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Ability to analyze financial reports and make operational corrections in order to achieve financial goals.
- Ability to travel between stores.
- Intermediate math skills.
- Must be computer literate with experience in Windows, Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Natural foods knowledge and industry connections very helpful.
- Able to work periodically in refrigerated working environment.
- Ability to hear and speak clearly in order to communicate with customers, vendors and staff.
- Ability to squat, kneel, bend and reach above head in order to merchandise and stock in the grocery department.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Work Environment: Approximately 25% of time on sales floor (retail setting) and 75% of time in an administrative environment.
*This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications assigned with this job.
This position description is subject to revision at any time.