(Revised August 2013)
Reports To: Specialty Manager
Pay Range: II
General Purpose: To provide customer service in a friendly and professional manner that consistently follows the Customer Service Standards, to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction by properly handling all inquiries, orders, special orders and returns, and to assist in creating an abundant, well-stocked Specialty Department that is clean, organized and appealing.
- Proactively assist customers within the guidelines outlined in our Customer Service Standards.
- Assist customers with special requests or needs, including customer returns and special orders.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment according to Health Department regulations
Maintain Specialty Department through proper pricing, stocking, facing, rotation, cleaning, storage, organization and creative merchandising.
- Reduce loss by properly recording all merchandise returns, damaged products, spoilage, and breakage.
- Cut, wrap, price and merchandise imported and domestic cheese.
- Gain knowledge of products, promotions, pairing of wine, cheese and beer and issues relevant to the Natural Foods Industry, and utilize this knowledge to assist our customers, without violating FDA guidelines restricting prescribing and/or diagnosing.
- Promptly respond to ‘bagging assistance pages’.
- Maintain accurate and appropriate signage and request shelf tags when needed.
- Use box cutter, baler and all other equipment properly.
- Know store layout/product location to refer the customer to the appropriate aisle when asked.
- Attend scheduled Grocery/Specialty Department meetings and all store meetings.
- Assist other staff members in achieving the goals of the Department and the store.
- Assist with inventory as needed.
- Adhere to all store policies as outlined by the Grocery/Specialty Manager, Staff Member Handbook and Injury and Illness Prevention Plan.
- Friendly, outgoing personality.
- Previous cheese/beer/wine experience and knowledge of natural foods products preferred.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to read product labels and UPC codes.
- Ability to work with others to achieve a common goal.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and accomplish tasks with little or no supervision.
- Ability to understand, follow, and enforce Department of Health regulations, and obtain a Food Handler’s Certificate within 10 days of employment.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs throughout any assigned shift unassisted.
- Ability to push/pull a loaded grocery stock cart throughout any assigned shift unassisted.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to climb and balance on a step stool/ladder.
- Ability to stoop, kneel and crouch.
- Ability to sustain repetitive arm and hand motion.
- Ability to reach above shoulders and horizontally to stock and retrieve inventory.
- Ability to work under a variety of conditions, including cold temperatures for extended periods of time.
* This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job. This position description is subject to revision at any time.