(Revised July 2010)
Reports To: Produce Manager
Pay Range: II
General Purpose: To provide customer service in a friendly and professional manner by maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction in handling all inquiries, orders, special orders, and returns. To assist in creating an abundant, well-stocked produce department that is clean, organized and appealing.
- Proactively assist customers within the guidelines outlined in our Customer Service Standards.
- Assist customers with special requests or needs, including customer returns and special orders.
- Maintain Produce Department inventory and appearance through proper receiving, rotation, culling, storage, cleaning, organization, stocking, and sampling, and creative merchandising.
- Reduce loss by properly recording all merchandise returns, damaged products, spoilage, and breakage.
- Build functional, attractive, and well-merchandised displays.
- Maintain accurate and appropriate signage.
- Gain knowledge of products, promotions, and issues relevant to the Natural Foods Industry, and utilize this knowledge to assist our customers, without violating FDA guidelines restricting prescribing and/or diagnosing.
- Promptly respond to ‘bagging assistance pages’.
- Use knives, baler and all other equipment properly.
- Know store layout/product location to refer the customer to the appropriate aisle when asked.
- Attend scheduled Produce Department meetings and all store meetings.
- Assist other team members in achieving the goals of the department and the store.
- Adhere to all Produce Department and store policies as outlined by the Produce Manager, Staff Member Handbook and Injury and Illness Prevention Plan.
- Ability to understand and follow Department of Health regulations, and needs to complete Food Handler’s Certificate within 10 days of employment.
- Friendly, outgoing personality.
- Previous produce experience and knowledge of natural foods products preferred.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work with others to achieve a common goal.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and accomplish tasks with little or no supervision.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs throughout any assigned shift unassisted.
- Ability to push/pull a loaded produce cart throughout any assigned shift unassisted.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to climb and balance on a step stool/ladder.
- Ability to stoop, kneel and crouch.
- Ability to sustain repetitive arm and hand motion.
- Ability to reach above shoulders and horizontally to stock and retrieve inventory.
- Ability to work under a variety of conditions and temperatures, wet and dry, for extended periods of time.
* This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job. This position description is subject to revision at any time.