(Revised March 2006)
Reports To: Meat Manager
Pay Range: IV
General Purpose: To provide customer service in a friendly and professional manner that consistently follows the Customer Service Standards, to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction by properly handling all inquiries, orders, special orders and returns. To assist in creating an abundant, well-stocked Meat Department that is clean, organized and appealing. Also to assist the Meat Manager through outstanding leadership, teambuilding, and supervision of the Meat Dept staff.
- Ability to effectively carry out the essential functions of the Meat Clerk 1 & Meat Clerk II position description.
- Proactively assist customers within the guidelines outlined in our Customer Service Standards and ensure that the Meat Dept staff are doing the same.
- Act as a resource for all customer inquiries by providing the source of all meat products, the vendors we use, and the quality of product in comparison to the local competition.
- Assist counter staff in properly accepting and following through on special orders.
- Handle all returns and/or customer complaints in a professional manner and refer customer to the Meat Manager when necessary.
- Operate band saw, grinder, sausage machine, knives, meat scale and other related equipment with safety and maintain cleanliness.
- Cut and merchandise various grades of poultry, fish, and boneless meats to accommodate customers’ requests.
- Attractively portion, present, and package merchandise according to customers’ requests and in a way that minimizes shrink and maximizes sales.
- Promote featured and sale items, recommend other store products whenever possible, and have knowledge of store layout to refer customers to appropriate aisles when asked about product locations.
- Keep counter fully stocked with the quality of ‘freshness’ in its presentation.
- Ensure all products meet quality standards through proper rotation and by only selling fresh product.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment in accordance with health code regulations.
- Put away all deliveries, be aware of packing dates, and rotate product accordingly.
- Handle correspondence with vendors in a professional and friendly manner.
- Assist other team members in achieving the goals of the department and the store.
- Attend scheduled department meetings and all store meetings.
- Adhere to all Meat Department and store policies as outlined by the Meat Manager and Staff Member Handbook and Injury and Illness Prevention Plan.
- Maintain clean and neat appearance in compliance with Dress Code policy.
- Advanced knowledge of various cuts and grades of beef, pork, chicken and seafood and assist other staff in answering customer inquiries.
- Handle sharp knives and operate band saw, grinder, sausage machine, meat scale and other related equipment properly.
- Ability to perform basic math for cutting test, pricing, inventory, etc.
- Ability to follow instructions from supervisors and interact well with others.
- Complete Food Handler’s Certificate within 10 days of employment.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 75 lbs throughout any assigned shift unassisted.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to stoop, kneel and crouch.
- Ability to sustain repetitive arm and hand motion.
- Ability to work under a variety of conditions, including cold temperatures for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work safely around kitchen machinery and sharp knives.
* This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job. This position description is subject to revision at any time.