Meat Clerk I
(Revised March 2006)
Reports To: Meat Manager
Pay Range: II
General Purpose: To provide customer service in a friendly and professional manner that consistently follows the Customer Service Standards, to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction by properly handling all inquiries, orders, special orders and returns. Also to assist in creating an abundant, well-stocked meat department that is clean, organized and appealing.
- Proactively assist customers within the guidelines outlined in our Customer Service Standards.
- Attractively portion, present, and package merchandise according to customers’ requests and in a way that minimizes shrink and maximizes sales.
- Complete preparation of basic meat products (sausage, fajitas, kabobs, stuffed peppers, etc.)
- Promote featured and sale items, recommend other store products whenever possible, and have knowledge of store layout to refer customers to appropriate aisles when asked about product locations.
- Handle all returns and/or customer complaints in a professional manner and refer customer to the Meat Manager when necessary.
- Ensure all products meet quality standards through proper rotation and by only selling fresh product.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment in accordance with health code regulations.
- Use knives and operate all equipment in a safe and sanitary manner.
- Assist other team members in achieving the goals of the department and the store.
- Attend scheduled Meat Department meetings and all store meetings.
- Adhere to all Meat Department and store policies as outlined by the Meat Manager, Staff Member Handbook and Injury and Illness Prevention Plan.
- Maintain clean and neat appearance in compliance with Dress Code policy.
- Ability to properly handle sharp knives and other hazardous equipment.
- Able to work independently.
- Ability to perform basic math for cutting test, pricing, inventory, etc.
- Previous customer service experience with a friendly, outgoing personality.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to understand Department of Health regulations, and complete Food Handler’s Certificate within 10 days of employment.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 75 lbs throughout any assigned shift unassisted.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to stoop, kneel and crouch.
- Ability to sustain repetitive arm and hand motion.
- Ability to work under a variety of conditions, including cold temperatures for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work safely around kitchen machinery and sharp knives.
* This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job. This position description is subject to revision at any time.