(Revised July 2010)
Reports To: Store Manager
Pay Range: Manager Wage Scale
General Purpose: To successfully manage the Grocery Department to achieve the financial targets outlined by the Store Manager, and to grow the department’s sales through outstanding customer service and excellence in merchandising, and by managing, supporting, and developing the Grocery staff members through clear direction and strong leadership.
- Achieve financial goals set forth by the Store Manager and COO: sales, margins, and inventory.
- Perform key human resource functions: hire and train new employees, document performance evaluations, issue disciplinary counselings, and terminations, monitor staff breaks, provide succession training, and complete supporting documentation in a timely manner.
- Effectively manage the staff of the Grocery Department through quality training, regular open communication and meetings, clearly stated expectations, and an emphasis on each employee’s growth and development.
- Write Grocery schedule to effectively handle the department’s workflow, provide outstanding customer service and remain within labor budget. Also to monitor staff breaks and minimize overtime.
- Insure the delivery of consistent, outstanding customer service in the Grocery Department that conforms to the Customer Service Standards, including proper response to customer requests, suggestions, and feedback in a timely manner.
- Develop and maintain an outstanding merchandising plan that addresses displays, promotions, cleanliness, new products, resets, and contributes to overall appearance of the store.
- Execute sales/promotions in a timely manner and work with the Demo Department to sample product.
- Work with the Scanning Coordinator to execute all Grocery Department price changes, and maintain signage.
- Manage purchasing function with respect to proper mix, order cycles, and order books.
- Ensure all products meet quality standards through proper rotation and by only selling fresh product.
- Maintain an abundant stock appearance while minimizing inventory; provide organic items whenever possible and seek new sources for organics.
- Manage shrink and monitor credits through effective organization and follow through.
- Maximize time spent on sales floor (spend a minimum of 75% of scheduled hours on the sales floor).
- Promote and maintain a positive, clean and safe atmosphere for shopping and working.
- Manage quarterly inventories for the Grocery Department.
- Assist other team members in achieving the goals of the Grocery Department and the store.
- Hold regular Department meetings (minimum of 1/ Qtr) and attend all scheduled all-store meetings.
- Know store layout/product location to walk the customer to the appropriate aisle when asked.
- Adhere to and enforce all Grocery Department and Store policies as outlined by the Store Manager, Staff Member Handbook and Injury and Illness Prevention Plan.
- Assist in maintaining security of the store, including enter/exit policy and checking of employee bags and backpacks if necessary.
- Demonstrated ability in managing Grocery Department operations (margins, ordering, inventory control, merchandising, personnel management).
- Must have intermediate math skills, and be computer literate with experience in Windows, Outlook Express, Word and Excel.
- Strong skills in communication, listening, organization, time management and the ability to provide and coach legendary customer service.
- Leadership and team-building skills with the ability to coach, motivate, supervise, delegate, and constructively address performance issues.
- Willing to work early mornings, evenings, graveyard and weekends as needed.
- Ability to travel and/or transfer to other store locations.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs throughout any assigned shift unassisted.
- Ability to push/pull a loaded Grocery cart throughout any assigned shift unassisted.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to climb and balance on a step stool/ladder.
- Ability to stoop, kneel and crouch.
- Ability to sustain repetitive arm and hand motion.
- Ability to reach above shoulders and horizontally to stock and retrieve inventory.
- Ability to work under a variety of conditions and temperatures, wet and dry, for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work safely with box cutters and grocery equipment.
* This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job. This position description is subject to revision at any time.